- Emergency Dentist
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- General Dentistry
- About Us
- Smile Gallery
- Payment Options
- Contact Us
Gummy Smile Treatment in Perth
What is a gummy smile?
A gummy smile, known as excessive gingival display, is when you smile and too much gum tissue shows above the top teeth.
If you have ever looked at a picture of yourself and thought your gum tissue was out of proportion to your smile please know that the feeling is common. Studies estimate that as many as 25% of the population are insecure about their gums when they smile. The good news is the situation is treatable.
What causes a gummy smile?
There are a number of causes of a gummy smile, however, the most common ones are:
- Teeth that appear short because they erupted improperly and remain partially covered by gum tissue
- Teeth that are small in comparison to the gums due to genetics or wear An upper lip that is too short
- A hyperactive upper lip that is normal in length when the face is resting but lifts too high when smiling exposing a lot of gum tissue
- Gums that are long or enlarged, known as gingival hypertrophy
- An overgrowth of the upper jaw, called vertical maxillary excess, makes gums bulge out
What are treatment options for a gummy Smile?
The appropriate gummy smile correction will depend on what’s causing it and the severity of the problem. Some common Gummy Smile treatment options that we offer at The Applecross Dentist include:
1– Laser Gum lift, Laser gum recontouring, also known as Laser gum reshaping
- Laser gum contouring procedures can remove extra gum tissue without the need to go under the traditional knife surgery for those with gums that extend too far down covering their teeth. At The Applecross Dentist, we perform our gum lift using a special dual-wavelength soft tissue laser which cauterise the gum and lets the tissue rest and cool down at the same time meaning you will be having minimal discomfort and the recovery is almost immediate
- They can make the teeth appear longer and improve the tooth-to-gum ratio if the teeth are too short thanks to wear or genetics.
3 – Gum Lift With Invisalign:
- If the underlying reason for excessive gingival display is mild and due to the jaws or teeth, it can sometimes be fixed with orthodontic treatments to shift the bite into the correct position and make the gums appear less prominent
4 – Anti-wrinkle injections:
- Are a newer contender However, the results are temporary and last about three to four months and it will only work when the upper lip is the culprit. A doctor injects the lip with Botox, which paralyzes the muscle and prevents it from lifting too high when you smile.
5 – Lip augmentation with dermal fillers:
- Combining muscle-relaxing injections and dermal fillers can improve the appearance of a gummy smile.
- Dermal fillers can then be injected into the upper lip to help increase its thickness and better cover the upper gums.
What to expect
For all cosmetic procedures, we always start with a consultation. With comprehensive knowledge of our cosmetic dentists in Orofacial aesthetics we will assess your face and smile with our 3D digital Smile design technology and will find and discuss the options best suit your needs and circumstances. If you are suitable for treatment and choose to proceed, the treatments can be performed at the same appointment or at a later time.
Our gummy smile treatment
The best treatment for a gummy smile depends on the underlying cause and the severity of the condition. Botox injections can be an effective option for reducing the visibility of gum tissue in mild to moderate cases, while gum contouring or lip repositioning surgery may be more appropriate for severe cases.
Orthodontic treatment may also be recommended if an underlying dental issue is contributing to the gummy smile. It’s important to consult with a qualified dental professional to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for your individual case.
Most gummy smile surgeries are performed under local anesthesia and patients typically do not experience pain during the procedure. However, some discomfort or swelling may be experienced following the surgery, which can usually be managed with over-the-counter pain medication. It’s important to discuss any concerns you may have about pain management with your dental professional before undergoing any gummy smile surgery.
The cost of gummy smile treatment in Perth can vary depending on the specific treatment option chosen, the severity of the gummy smile, and the individual dental professional’s fees. It’s important to consult with a qualified dental professional to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for your individual case and to discuss the associated costs.
Yes, Invisalign can be used to correct a gummy smile in cases where the underlying cause is an orthodontic issue such as an overbite or open bite. Invisalign works by gradually moving the teeth into their proper position, which can help to reduce the amount of gum tissue that is visible when a person smiles. It’s important to consult with a qualified dental professional to determine if Invisalign is the most appropriate treatment option for your individual case.
The length of time it takes to fix a gummy smile depends on the underlying cause and the treatment option chosen. For example, Botox injections can provide results within a few days and last for up to six months, while gum contouring or lip repositioning surgery may take several weeks to heal before the full results can be seen.
Orthodontic treatment such as braces or Invisalign can take several months or even years to complete. It’s important to consult with a qualified dental professional to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for your individual case and to discuss the expected timeline for treatment.